Did you took a break from OpenRefine in August, fear of missing something? No worries, the August update got you covered.
New Tutorials and Articles
Most of August tutorials and new publication revolve around using OpenRefine with third party service, either by call an API or fetching web pages.
Catch up Silk tutorial and video webinar on how to clean and enhance data using APIs, OpenRefine, and Regex
@hpiedcoq have been sharing a list of JSON recipes and how to on github:
- How-to retrieve infos on french companies
- How to check validity of E.U. VAT numbers using OpenRefine and the VIES platform?
- Mass IP identifier for OpenRefine
On a similart topic, paldhous shared his recipe to geocode list of addresses in Open Refine, using Bing and MapQuest Open APIs
New reconcilitation service for The lobid-organisations service. They provides a web API to a comprehensive dataset of library institutions in Germany. All the details to connect to their reconciliation service is on their github
In Korean Neuro Associates share a complete slideshow introducing OpenRefine main functionality.
In French, clusteriser vos urls avec OpenRefine
As we keep closing the latest issue for the 2.6 release, @cm_harlow shared her speaker’s notes for #c4lmdc OpenRefine Recon Service workshop
August Events Summary
MSU’s Institute for Digital Archaeology Method & Practice, took place August 18 and 19 and included a session on OpenRefine led by @DEJPett. You can catch up with the workshop task and tutorial shared on texas diplomatic correspondence.
Omgosh....OpenRefine has the potential so make so many basic data management tasks SOOOO much easier. Very excited. #msudai— Mary E. Lennon (@MaryELennon) August 18, 2015
Coming Workshop and Events
Come at one of the coming OpenRefine events to sharpe your data cleaning skills:
- Learn to use Open Refine to clean up messy data. Free course for @Sydney_Uni researchers Tue September 8
- The Data Scientist Training for Librarians (DST4L) comes to Copenhagen with an all day OpenRefine session Sep 9
- Introduction to OpenRefine at Central PA Open Source Conference 2015-10-17 by @cposc
- DVS Workshop: OpenRefine: Data Mining and Transformations, Text Normalization Oct 20, 2015 at Duke University